DIY - DISPLAY DOME

I've secretly lusted after one of those vintage glass dome display things (do they have an actual name..? Please feel free to correct me..!) for somewhere in the apartment. Maybe for a small toy, or a plant or something. I've been yet to find them anywhere though, except those overpriced vintage goods shops that mark up 150% and take all the fun out of the hunt. I spotted a couple at The Vintage Shed in Tyabb for upwards of $80, but I just can't justify. But how about a look-alike for next to nix and an hour out of my Saturday afternoon? Now that I can get on board with. So here's the cheat's DIY way of making a 'vintage' dome display.


THIS is all you need. Scour the local Salvation Army for a clock like this. Double points if you can find a glass-domed one (plastic ones are a-plenty) and try and make sure the base screws completely off from the arms. Some have a little ridge for a screw, or a bolt that can't be removed. You could still technically use it, but it'll look a bit obvious. This little clock I picked up for five bucks, had only holes for the screws on the base, and these little intricate patterns around the top which makes it about 78% more awesome (official percentage, I checked). Perfect.


Break out the mini-tool kit and take the lil sucker apart. It's most likely just a few screws in the bottom connecting the base cover. Underneath will probably be a compartment for the battery, and links up to the magnet (which is what powers the spinning balls in clocks like this). I elected to keep those components in, as I'll reconnect the base once I'm done and this'll help to keep the bottom weighted down. Better safe than sorry, yeah? Unscrew the two little ones connecting the base to the arms and you're in business.

Now you have your dome off, the arms and clock removed (you can ditch those) and the base cover off. So take the gold base outside and spray paint it. I opted for matte black for a more authentic vintage-y look cos that's the ones I'd been lusting after, but you can pretty much do whatever you want. A pop of colour might be fun depending on your decor and what you plan to put in it. Maybe. I'll let you work that out for yourself.


Leave to dry in the sun and half an hour later, you're ready to go. Reattach the base cover with the original screws and close over the battery compartment. DON'T put a bettery in - totally useless to have it now (duh!) but also leaving batteries sitting unused in things causes rust and gross orange stuff and that's not healthy.


Pop in your item and carefully sit the dome on top, and you're done! Looks like the real thing for a tiny fraction of the price and weighs next to nothing as well. Look at the Statue of Liberty hanging out, all snug and safe under her dome. She loves it.

0 comments: